CDA 100th Anniversary History - Part 1
On June 12, 1903 a small study organized under the name Daughters of Isabella. On December 1, 1912 this formally became a chapter of the Catholic Daughters of the Americas as Court Bernadine #185, an organization under the patronage of the Blessed Mother and dedicated to the service of God and country.
At the time the Catholic population of Brewster was growing and plans were underway to build the present Church on Prospect St. The KKK was quite active in Brewster, focused against Catholics. Women made their own clothes and bread. All clothes were washed on a scrub board and out to dry. There were no electric appliances. Home mail delivery did not start until 1924. Children walked to school. In this climate the first Grand Regent, Nellie Mergardt, was able to convince 42 devout, hard-working women to join a new group which has blossomed into our present CDA.